Student Housing Buildings
- Christopher Newport University New Greek Village, Newport News, VA: SDC provided design-phase advisory services to Glavé & Holmes, architect of this fraternity community, which includes eight houses, six providing 9,500 sf / 26 beds and two providing 21,944 sf / 52 beds. The project achieved compliance with Virginia’s adaptation of the International Green Construction Code in March 2015.
- Old Dominion University Owens House, Norfolk, VA: This 165,000 sf, VMDO-designed new residence hall houses 500 students and includes staff apartments, as well as offices, classrooms, a convenience store, community kitchens, lounge, and study spaces throughout to support planned Learning Communities. Completed in February 2021, the building is currently on track for LEED certification.
- James Madison University Paul Jennings Hall, Harrisonburg, VA: Designed by VMDO and completed in 2020, this 146,189 sf new building followed Virginia’s adaptation of the International Green Construction Code. In addition to dorm rooms, the first floor includes multipurpose and learning commons spaces, a recreation room, an exhibit on Paul Jennings’ life, and a market for “grab-n-go” dining options.
- Johns Hopkins University Charles Village, Baltimore, MD: This 326,150 sf 12-story student housing building designed by Design Collective, Inc. provides 257 residential units, a club house, two levels of retail, and an above-grade parking garage. The project achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in January 2017.
- University of Richmond Jeter Hall Renovation, Richmond, VA: SDC provided LEED process management for renovation of a 107-bed traditional dormitory into an 83-unit semi-suite style residence hall. The building also provides shared services such as laundry, social and academic lounges, and a community kitchen. This project was designed by Quinn Evans and achieved LEED Silver certification in March 2016.
- University of Virginia Gibbons House, Charlottesville, VA: This new 79,950 sf replacement dormitory by EYP is part of UVa’s multi-phase building project to replace all of the 1960s-era residence halls on Alderman Road. Gibbons House provides housing for 204 first-year students, as well as 10,000 sf of office space. The project achieved LEED Gold certification in February 2016.
- Virginia Commonwealth University West Grace Student Housing South, Richmond, VA: This 160,000 sf new student housing building designed by WDG Architecture in association with nbj Architecture provides 450 beds in a mix of apartment types as well as ground-floor assembly space. The project, which features roof-mounted solar water heating, achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in 2013.
Many higher educational institutions and some k-12 schools provide housing for their students. These buildings serve students populations’ critical needs for safe and healthy living environments, while offering enhanced on-site learning opportunities addressing sustainable building and living strategies. SDC has consulted on a wide range of on- and off-campus student housing types, from dormitory-style buildings to living-learning facilities and individual market-rate apartments. In addition to LEED certification, SDC has provided services for the application of the International Green Construction Code (IgCC) to student housing facilities.