Student Housing Buildings
- Christopher Newport University New Greek Village, Newport News, VA: SDC provided design-phase advisory services to Glavé & Holmes, architect of this fraternity community, which includes eight houses, six providing 9,500 sf / 26 beds and two providing 21,944 sf / 52 beds. The project achieved compliance with Virginia’s adaptation of the International Green Construction Code in March 2015.
- James Madison University Wayland Hall Renovation, Harrisonburg, VA: This renovation by VMDO became the first fully renovated residence hall in the country to achieve LEED-NC Platinum certification. It was also honored as the Virginia Sustainable Building network’s 2012 Best Green Institutional Project - Adaptive Re-use category. SDC provided LEED consulting to construction manager Donley’s.
- Salisbury University Choptank Residence Hall Renovation, Salisbury, MD: Becker Morgan Group designed the renovation of this 48,310 sf high-rise residence hall initially constructed in 1972. SDC provided LEED process management for this and Chester Hall, a similar residence hall, simultaneously. Both buildings achieved Silver-level certification in 2014.
- Johns Hopkins University Charles Village, Baltimore, MD: This 326,150 sf 12-story student housing building designed by Design Collective, Inc. provides 257 residential units, a club house, two levels of retail, and an above-grade parking garage. The project achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in January 2017.
- University of Richmond Jeter Hall Renovation, Richmond, VA: SDC provided LEED process management for renovation of a 107-bed traditional dormitory into an 83-unit semi-suite style residence hall. The building also provides shared services such as laundry, social and academic lounges, and a community kitchen. This project was designed by Quinn Evans and achieved LEED Silver certification in March 2016.
- University of Virginia Gibbons House, Charlottesville, VA: This new 79,950 sf replacement dormitory by EYP is part of UVa’s multi-phase building project to replace all of the 1960s-era residence halls on Alderman Road. Gibbons House provides housing for 204 first-year students, as well as 10,000 sf of office space. The project achieved LEED Gold certification in February 2016.
- Virginia Commonwealth University West Grace Student Housing South, Richmond, VA: This 160,000 sf new student housing building designed by WDG Architecture in association with nbj Architecture provides 450 beds in a mix of apartment types as well as ground-floor assembly space. The project, which features roof-mounted solar water heating, achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in 2013.
Many higher educational institutions and some k-12 schools provide housing for their students. These buildings serve students populations’ critical needs for safe and healthy living environments, while offering enhanced on-site learning opportunities addressing sustainable building and living strategies. SDC has consulted on a wide range of on- and off-campus student housing types, from dormitory-style buildings to living-learning facilities and individual market-rate apartments. In addition to LEED certification, SDC has provided services for the application of the International Green Construction Code (IgCC) to student housing facilities.