Community / Cultural Buildings
- Varina Area Library, Henrico, VA: This new 42,333 sf library designed by BCWH / now Quinn Evans offers a unique connection to nature and the outdoors through strategic placement and extensive glazing which provides ample views of Cornelius Creek and wetlands. This project achieved Silver-level certifcication in 2017, along with the Library Building Award and an AIA award for Excellence in Design.
- Nancy H. Dacek North Potomac Community Recreation Center, Rockville, MD: This new 48,084 sf recreation center designed by Grimm + Parker includes a gymnasium, exercise room, social hall, kitchen, senior / community lounge, arts / kiln room, game room, vending space, conference room, offices, and lobby. It achieved Silver-level certification in July 2017.
- Arthur Capper Community Center, Washington, DC: This new 27,487 sf community center designed by Torti Gallas Urban provides a daycare facility, recreation center, computer lab, gym, game room, and meeting / classroom space for the residence of DC’s Southeast Waterfront. It won the ENR Mid-Atlantic Best Government / Public Building Award in 2016, and achieved LEED-NC Gold-level certification in March 2017.
- Elkridge Library and Senior Center, Elkridge, MD: This project designed by Grimm + Parker renovated the existing 17,000 sf and provided a new 28,000 sf addition to provide space for a library, senior center, and DIY education center, where visitors can experiment with home repairs, gardening, and bicycle repairs. This project achieved Gold certification in 2018 and was awarded the USGBC Wintergreen Award in 2019.
- Dewey Gottwald Event Center at the Science Museum of Virginia, Richmond, VA: This new event center addition is a 15,940 sf single-story multi-purpose space designed by Quinn Evans Architects which can accommodate large-scale events for more than 1,000 guests as well as provide smaller spaces for corporate meetings. With SDC’s help the project achieved LEED Gold-level certification in March 2018.
- Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy, Washington, DC: This 17,375 sf training center was designed to provide a safe environment for children in grades 3-12 east of the Anacostia River to learn and play baseball. SDC provided LEED process management services directly to the Owner, and the project achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in January 2015.
- Patuxent River Naval Air Museum, Lexington Park, MD: SDC provided contractor advisory services for this new 20,860 sf museum, designed by Westlake Reed Leskosky, which includes a hangar for displaying Navy planes, as well as a gift shop and office space. Passive solar concepts and daylighting contributed to this project achieving LEED Gold-level certification in December 2016.
Community and cultural facilities are typically owned and operated by government entities and designated for use byCommunity and cultural facilities are typically owned and operated by government entities and designated for use bythe general public. SDC has provided LEED process management and green building consulting services for more than60 community buildings. This group includes public libraries, community and recreational facilities, museums, andcultural centers. The high level of public exposure for these buildings allows an opportunity to showcase the practicalapplication of sustainable design and operations on a large scale.