- District Wharf Phase 1, Washington, DC: This $2 billion redevelopment includes 3.2 million sf of mixed-use space along DC’s southwest waterfront. SDC managed the LEED-ND process for developer Hoffman & Associates over several years. With Phase 1 complete in 2019, the project was pre-certified as a LEED-ND Plan at the Gold Level, to be collectively certified as a Built Project as Phase 2 is completed.
- Universities at Shady Grove Parking Garage #2, Rockville, MD: SDC provided design phase advisory services for Parksmart (formerly Green Garages) certification of this 700-car, five-level, new campus parking structure. Designed by Ayers Saint Gross and completed in 2016, this solar-shaded garage became one of the first Parksmart-certified projects in April 2017.
- Alexandria Green Building Program Phase II Projects, Alexandria, VA: This ARRA-funded contract included a virtual green building resource center; green building workshops; green building and energy conservation informational materials; incentive identification; organization of an energy audit program; training for city staff; and development of materials to promote the Green Building Resource Center.
- Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Term Contract, Richmond, VA: Between 2010 and 2020, SDC held consecutive, five-year term contracts with VCU to provide direct sustainability consulting services. Tasks completed therein included project reviews and analyses, development of operational plans, a Net Zero Energy feasibility assessment, and LEED for Operations + Maintenance consulting.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Affordable Green Housing Technical Assistance, Washington, DC; Philadelphia, PA; Wilmington, NC; Christiansburg, VA: In 2013, under a GDS Associates contract, SDC assisted four HUD stakeholders in incorporating green building and energy efficiency into their operations, maintenance, new construction, rehabilitation, and retrofit projects.
- Dove Street Redevelopment Master Plan Update, Richmond VA: In 2013, supporting Commonwealth Architects’ work on this residential neighborhood plan update, SDC evaluated and provided strategy summaries for the following green building and green development rating systems: LEED-ND, LEED for Homes (low- and mid-rise), Earthcraft (single- and multi-family), and Enterprise Green Communities.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Green Furniture Guidance and Reviews, Boston, MA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Philadelphia, PA: Between 2007 and 2020, under multiple contracts held by Metropolitan Architects + Planners, SDC provided commercial office furniture environmental specification guidance, market research and product submittal reviews for four EPA regional headquarters.
In addition to providing greener solutions for stand-alone building projects, SDC offers a variety of services for projects of a broader or more generalized nature. Over the years, SDC has worked on over 50 projects in this additional category, which includes the above recent examples within the following overall areas of consulting:
- LEED for Neighborhood Development (LEED-ND) feasibility assessment and process management for several DC-area neighborhoods, which encompass infrastructure as well as multiple buildings and spaces with diverse uses
- Parking structure and transit station project consulting, using the Parksmart and LEED for Transit Stations pilot systems, respectively
- Grant-funded contracts with local governments in Virginia and Maryland to provide program development consulting and promote green building awareness throughout their communities
- Term contracts with state and local entities in Virginia and Maryland to conduct feasibility assessments, develop design criteria, and provide operations and maintenance guidance
- Grant-funded technical assistance to not-for-profit entities to develop green building design, renovation, and operational guidelines for affordable housing and small retail establishments
- Community master plan sustainability consulting services, including development of strategies for site-wide and building-wide environmental improvement
- Furniture specification assistance and product review for commercial and institutional building portfolios