Multi-Unit Residential Buildings
- The Pearl, Silver Spring, MD: This new high-rise apartment building designed by Design Collective includes 284 garden-style units with a rooftop pool and underground parking, along with 32 two-story townhouses. This project achieved LEED Gold certification in 2017 as well as AIA Baltimore’s Design Excellence Award, USGBC NCR’s Innovative Project of the Year Award, and Fitwel certification in 2018.
- Arthur Capper Senior Building, Washington, DC: This reconstruction of the 141,605 sf senior housing building, which had been previously destroyed by a fire, sits within DC Housing Authority’s overall Arthur Capper affordable housing community. Designed by Torti Gallas Urban, the replacement project features energy-efficient construction and was Enterprise Green Communities certified in May 2021.
- Cadence at Downtown Crown, Gaithersburg, MD: These five-story buidlings designed by Heffner Architects provide 538 residential units, 100,000 sf of retail space, and 1,400 parking spaces. Both buildings, which attained LEED certification in January 2015, include affordable housing units, outdoor gathering spaces and landscaped zones, as well as a shuttle to public transportation.
- Residences at the Hayes, Washington, DC: This new 152,000 sf apartment building designed by Torti Gallas Urban provides 150 units, 40 of which have been set aside as affordable housing units as part of the District’s New Communities Initiative. SDC provided Green Communities process management for this project, which earned certification in May 2019.
- Virginia Square Towers, Arlington, VA:Located at the Virginia Square Metro station, this two-building, 520,837 sf high-rise apartment development designed by MTFA Architecture includes 534 residential units as well as ground-floor retail and underground parking developed over a 2.57 acre site. The completed project earned LEED-NC Gold-level certification in September 2015.
- Hine South Residential, Washington, DC: This 259,450 sf renovation designed by Gensler is part of a larger redevelopment which transforms a surplus school site into a vibrant mixed use community across from the Eastern Market metro station. This building provides 128 residential units, including affordable housing, along with ground-level retail. It achieved LEED Gold certification in October 2018.
- VIO Condominiums and Incancto Apartments at the Wharf, Washington, DC: As part of DC’s southwest waterfront redevelopment, these two distinct multi-unit buildings, designed by WDG Architecture, provide both rental and condominium units. This combined property offers waterfront views and 77,000 sf of retail space, including a fitness club. The buildings collectively achieved LEED Silver certification in 2018.
Green building for multi-unit residential projects requires intense coordination among designers, builders, developers, as well as property managers and residents, to ensure healthy and efficient operations. These include condominiums, rental apartments, and senior living developments. SDC has provided LEED process management for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of thousands of market-rate and affordable dwelling units, as well as services for multi-unit residential projects using other standards, including Green Communities, EarthCraft, Green Globes, and the International Green Construction Code (IgCC).