Multi-Unit Residential Buildings
- The Pearl, Silver Spring, MD: This new high-rise apartment building designed by Tower Companies includes 284 garden-style units with a rooftop pool and underground parking, along with 32 two-story townhouses. This project achieved LEED Gold certification in 2017 as well as AIA Baltimore’s Design Excellence Award, USGBC NCR’s Innovative Project of the Year Award, and Fitwel certification in 2018.
- Park Van Ness, Washington, DC: Park Van Ness, designed by Torti Gallas, replaced an existing low-rise retail complex with a 271-unit apartment building with ground floor retail. The new building provides unique access for visitors and residents to Rock Creek Park, which is accessible via the archway in the middle of the building. This project achieved LEED certification in September 2016.
- Cadence at Downtown Crown, Gaithersburg, MD: These five-story buidlings designed by Heffner Architects provide 538 residential units, 100,000 sf of retail space, and 1,400 parking spaces. Both buildings, which attained LEED certification in January 2015, include affordable housing units, outdoor gathering spaces and landscaped zones, as well as a shuttle to public transportation.
- Residences at the Hayes, Washington, DC: This new 152,000 sf apartment building designed by Torti Gallas Urban provides 150 units, 40 of which have been set aside as affordable housing units as part of the District’s New Communities Initiative. The project earned Green Communities certification in May 2019.
- Virginia Square Towers, Arlington, VA:Located at the Virginia Square Metro station, this two-building, 520,837 sf high-rise apartment development designed by MTFA Architecture includes 534 residential units as well as ground-floor retail and underground parking developed over a 2.57 acre site. The completed project earned LEED-NC Gold-level certification in September 2015.
- Hine South Residential, Washington, DC: This 259,450 sf renovation designed by Gensler is part of a larger redevelopment which transforms a surplus school site into a vibrant mixed use community across from the Eastern Market metro station. This building provides 128 residential units, including affordable housing, along with ground-level retail and below-grade parking. It achieved LEED Gold certification in October 2018.
- VIO Condominiums and Incancto Apartments at the Wharf, Washington, DC: As part of the Southwest Waterfront Redevelopment, these two distinct multi-unit buildings designed by WDG Architecture provide rental and condominiums with waterfront views, all above 77,000 sf of retail space which includes a fitness club. The buildings achieved LEED Silver certification in 2018.
Green building for multi-unit residential projects requires intense coordination among designers, builders, developers, as well as property managers and residents, to ensure the buildings are operating as originally designed. These include condominiums, rental apartments, student housing, and senior housing developments. SDC has pioneered green building for multi-unit residential developments, from the first LEED-certified cohousing project, to the first multi-family project to attain LEED-EBOM Platinum certification. SDC has provided LEED process management / green building consulting for more than 50 multi-unit residential buildings. SDC has also provided process management and advisory services for multi-unit residential projects under other regional programs including the Baltimore City Green Building Standard, Green Communities Criteria, EarthCraft Virginia, and Howard County Green Neighborhoods.