K-12 Educational Buildings
- Butterfly Ridge Elementary School, Frederick, MD: This 102,158 sf new facility attained LEED for Schools Silver-level certification in June 2019. Its prototype design was generated and adapted by Grimm + Parker Architects for Frederick County Public Schools, which has implemented green building strategies, green operational policies, and a measurement and verification plan on multiple new buildings.
- Collegiate School Sharp Academic Commons, Henrico, VA: The Collegiate School is an independent, coeducational K-12 school, serving 1,600 students, that has been repeatedly recognized for academic excellence. Designed by Tymoff + Moss Architects, its new 25,600 sf Academic Commons building is a library, media center, cafe, and classrooms and achieved LEED certification in March 2015.
- Waverly Elementary -Middle School, Baltimore, MD: This 127,708 sf renovation by Grimm + Parker Architects combines the Waverly Elementary and Middle Schools, which had been operating under a single administration in separate buildings. The new building provides shared facilities and makes some areas available for community use. This project achieved LEED Gold certification in 2017.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School, Richmond, VA: SDC provided LEED-S Silver-level advisory services to the architect, Quinn Evans (then BCWH) for design of this new 149,600 sf replacement public school building, which was completed in January 2014 and certified in July 2015. SDC also provided LEED-NC Silver-level process management for the same campus’ new Pre-K building, certified in November 2016.
- Seven Locks Elementary School, Bethesda, MD: SDC provided LEED process management for 70,000 sf new addition and renovation of the existing public school designed by WMCRP Architects. This project achieved LEED-S Gold-level certicication in December 2012. Green building strategies include a geothermal heating / cooling system as well as use of sunscreens and interior light shelves.
- The Heights, Arlington, VA: This 240,000 sf, state-of-the-art new magnet school building was designed by Leo A Daly with Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG). In addition to integrating some historic components of the original building, the school collects rainwater for use in toilets and provides a series of terraces for outdoor teaching opportunities. The project achieved LEED Gold certification in May 2020.
- Ducketts Lane Elementary School, Elkridge, MD: This new 78,000 sf public elementary school designed by Grimm + Parker Architects serves a new development in Howard County, Maryland. SDC provided LEED process management services for this project, which earned USGBC Maryland’s 2014 Wintergreen Award for Excellence in Green Building and achieved LEED Gold-level certification in February 2015.
LEED for Schools (LEED-S) is similar to LEED for New Construction, with additional criteria for sustainable sites and indoor environmental quality to provide enhanced learning environments for our children. SDC has been at the forefront of developing green building design and operational guidelines for public school systems before LEED-S was even created. Since its inception, SDC has provided LEED, Green Globes, and Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) process management and advisory services for dozens of public and independent k-12 schools throughout our region.