Higher Educational Buildings
- Adelphi University Nexus and Welcoming Center, Garden City, NY: This new 116,139 sf building designed by Ballinger provides offices, classrooms, nursing simulations, and a common area for the university’s School of Nursing. SDC began work on this project when design was complete, yet was able to help the project attain the desired LEED goal of Silver certification in January 2018.
- University of the District of Columbia Student Center, Washington, DC: This project provided renovation and addition for a finished total of 96,000 sf student center including a bookstore, dining, fitness center, mixed use spaces, and other areas with a community focus. This building was designed by CannonDesign; SDC worked with Forrester Construction to help it achieve LEED Platinum certification in March 2017.
- Salisbury University Patricia R. Guerrieri Academic Commons, Salisbury, MD: This new 234,373 sf student center includes a library, research center, writing center, and assembly hall. Designed by Ayers Saint Gross, the project earned the USGBC Maryland Wintergreen Award in the Education Project category in 2016 and achieved LEED Gold-level certification in June 2017.
- University of Maryland Baltimore County Performing Arts and Humanities Facility, Baltimore, MD: This 176,002 sf LEED-NC Gold-certified building designed by William Rawn Associates with Grimm + Parker is home to the Departments of Ancient Studies, Dance, English, Music, Philosophy, Theatre, the Dresher Center for the Humanities, the Linehan Artists Scholars Program, and the Office of Arts and Culture.
- University of Maryland College Park Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Innovation, College Park, MD: This new 108,000 sf STEM classroom building designed by HDR and completed in 2018 is the first State of Maryland project to follow International Green Construction Code compliance. The building includes state-of-the-art hacker space and maker space.
- Virginia Military Institute Corps Physical Training Facility Phase 1, Lexington, VA: Designed by HKS, this new 130,000 sf cadet training facility includes an indoor obstacle course, leadership reaction course elements, weight and cardio training rooms, climbing wall, running track, and drill areas. It earned LEED Gold certification April 2018 and USGBC Virginia’s Innovative Design, New Construction award in 2019.
- College of William & Mary Integrated Science Center Phase 3, Williamsburg, VA: This new 112,716 STEM classroom and laboratory building designed by EYP connects to the existing Phases 1 and 2 to create a triangular shaped complex with an interior courtyard and rooftop greenhouse. Required to only achieve Silver-level certification, the project was LEED Gold certified in December 2017.
Higher educational institutions have long been aware of the importance of sustainability on campus. In addition to enjoying operating cost savings, enhanced reputation, and a healthier learning environment, these institutions may also offer on-site, built environment-based sustainability curriculum to their students. Building types in this category include classroom, student services, athletic, and campus administration facilities. SDC has provided services for LEED certification, as well as adaptations of the International Green Construction Code (IgCC), for higher educational projects in several states, the District of Columbia, and abroad.