Higher Educational Buildings
- Adelphi University Nexus and Welcoming Center, Garden City, NY: This new 116,139 sf building designed by Ballinger provides offices, classrooms, nursing simulations, and a common area for the university’s School of Nursing. SDC began work on this project when design was complete, yet was able to help the project attain the desired LEED goal of Silver certification in January 2018.
- University of the District of Columbia Student Center, Washington, DC: This project provided renovation and addition for a finished total of 96,000 sf student center including a bookstore, dining, fitness center, mixed use spaces, and other areas with a community focus. This building was designed by CannonDesign; SDC worked with Forrester Construction to help it achieve LEED Platinum certification in March 2017.
- Salisbury University Patricia R. Guerrieri Academic Commons, Salisbury, MD: This new 234,373 sf student center includes a library, research center, writing center, and assembly hall. Designed by Ayers Saint Gross, the project achieved LEED-NC Gold-level certification in June 2017, and earned the USGBC Maryland Wintergreen Award in the Education Project category.
- University of Maryland Baltimore County Performing Arts and Humanities Facility, Baltimore, MD: This 176,002 sf LEED-NC Gold-certified building designed by William Rawn Associates with Grimm + Parker is home to the Departments of Ancient Studies, Dance, English, Music, Philosophy, Theatre, the Dresher Center for the Humanities, the Linehan Artists Scholars Program, and the Office of Arts and Culture.
- University of Maryland College Park Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Innovation, College Park, MD: This new 108,000 sf STEM classroom building designed by HDR and completed in 2018 is the first project to follow IgCC compliance in the State of Maryland. The building includes state-of-the-art hacker space and maker space.
- Virginia Military Institute Corps Physical Training Facility Phase 1, Lexington, VA: This new 130,000 sf cadet training facility designed by HKS includes an indoor obstacle course, leadership reaction course elements, weight and cardio training rooms, a climbing wall, a running track, drill areas, and parking and support spaces. It achieved LEED-NC Gold-level certification April 2018 and USGBC Virginia’s Innovative Design, New Construction award in 2019.
- College of William & Mary Integrated Science Center Phase 3, Williamsburg, VA: This new 112,716 STEM classroom and laboratory building designed by EYP connects to the existing Phases 1 and 2 to create a triangular shaped complex with an interior courtyard and rooftop greenhouse. This project achieved LEED-NC Gold-level certification in December 2017.
Higher Educational institutions have long been aware of the importance of sustainability in their buildings andHigher Educational institutions have long been aware of the importance of sustainability in their buildings andoperations, as indicated by the overwhelming success of and participation in AASHE (the Association for theAdvancement of Sustainability in Higher Education). In addition to enjoying operating cost savings, enhancedreputation, and a healthier work / learning environment, these institutions also reap the intrinsic benefits of providingenhanced curriculum through hands-on experience to their students in the area of sustainability. SDC has beendedicated to providing green building services for higher educational institutions since its inception in 2002. The typesof buildings in this category include academic / classroom buildings, student services facilities, athletic facilities, andcampus administration buildings. To date, we have provided LEED process management as well as services related tostate adaptations of the International Green Construction Code (IgCC), for more than 80 higher educational projects.