Healthcare and Laboratory Buildings
- Maryland Public Health Laboratory at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD: This new 250,000 sf public health building, designed by HDR and completed in 2014, provides state-of-the-art laboratory facilities to support today’s most cutting-edge corporations and institutions. Sustainable strategies include strategic building orientation and a vegetated roof. The project attained LEED-NC Silver certification in December 2016.
- Boulders Medical Office Building, Chesterfield, VA: LEED-CS Certified-level process management for a new 70,000 sf medical office building that combines the offices of leading orthopaedic specialists in sports, hand, knee and hip, spine, and pediatrics, as well as sports medicine and outpatient surgery into one technologically innovative building. This project achieved LEED-CS certification in September 2012.
- Centra Lynchburg Medical Center, Lynchburg, VA: SDC provided LEED process management and a LEED cost study for this new two-story 46,000 sf medical office building designed by Price Studios and dedicated to the Internal Medicine and Phyiscal Medicine practices affiliated with the nearby hospital. The project was completed in June 2015 and achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in September 2016.
- DePaul Medical Plaza, Norfolk, VA: LEED-CS process management for a new four-story, 104,252 sf medical office building on the Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center campus. Designed by Odell Associates, it includes two linear accelerator vaults for cancer treatment, prioritizes indoor environmental quality and achieved LEED Silver-level certification in October 2015.
- Dennis Avenue Health Center, Silver Spring, MD: This new two-story facility designed by Grimm + Parker / Wilmot Sanz joint venture provides space for immunizations, disease control, emergency preparedness, and dental services for Montgomery County’s most vulnerable residents. This project surpassed its initial LEED goal of Silver to achieve LEED Gold-level certification in October 2017.
- Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters Landstown Health and Urgent Care Center, Virginia Beach, VA: Designed by HDR, this new outpatient facility achieved LEED Silver certification in March 2017, making it one of Virginia’s first LEED v4-certified projects. In 2018, it also earned USGBC Virginia’s Leadership Award for Performance. SDC provided advisory services to the contractor, WM Jordan.
- Western State Hospital, Staunton, VA: This 354,508 sf replacement facility for the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services was designed by Cannon Design in association with Ballou Justice Upton Architects. It includes patient rooms, a patient services “mall”, and various administrative functions. Completed in 2013, it attained LEED-NC Silver-level certification in July 2017.
As the demand for healthcare services steadily increases, so does the demand for space in which to house these services. Furthermore, the essential purpose of healthcare facilities as healing spaces compels an increased attention to the quality of their indoor and outdoor environments. SDC has provided green building consulting for numerous healthcare facilities, including hospitals, laboratories, medical office buildings, clinics, and residential care facilities. In addition to providing LEED process management and consulting, SDC is also conversant in healthcare-specific green building rating systems such as Green Guide for Health Care (GGHC).