Community and Cultural Buildings
- Varina Area Library, Henrico, VA: This new 42,333 sf library designed by Quinn Evans with Tappé Architects offers a unique connection to nature and the outdoors through strategic placement and extensive glazing offering ample views of Cornelius Creek and wetlands. This project achieved Silver-level certification in 2017, along with the Library Building Award and an AIA award for Excellence in Design.
- Nancy H. Dacek North Potomac Community Recreation Center, Rockville, MD: This new 48,084 sf recreation center designed by Grimm + Parker for Montgomery County includes a gymnasium, exercise room, social hall, kitchen, senior / community lounge, arts / kiln room, game room, vending space, conference room, offices, and lobby. The project achieved Silver-level certification in July 2017.
- Arthur Capper Community Center, Washington, DC: This new 27,487 sf community center designed by Torti Gallas Urban provides a daycare facility, recreation center, computer lab, gym, game room, and meeting / classroom space for Southeast DC’s residents. It won the ENR Mid-Atlantic Best Government / Public Building Award in 2016, and achieved LEED-NC Gold-level certification in March 2017.
- Elkridge Library and Senior Center, Elkridge, MD: This project designed by Grimm + Parker renovated the existing 17,000 sf and provided a new 28,000 sf addition to provide space for a library, senior center, and DIY education center, where visitors can experiment with home repairs, gardening, and bicycle repairs. This project achieved Gold certification in 2018 and was awarded the USGBC Wintergreen Award in 2019.
- Dewey Gottwald Event Center at the Science Museum of Virginia, Richmond, VA: This new building addition, designed by Quinn Evans Architects, is a 15,940 sf single-story multi-purpose space accommodating large-scale events for more than 1,000 guests with smaller spaces for corporate meetings. With SDC’s help, the project achieved LEED Gold-level certification in March 2018.
- Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy, Washington, DC: This 17,375 sf training center was designed to provide a safe environment for children in grades 3-12 east of the Anacostia River to learn and play baseball. SDC provided LEED process management services directly to the Owner, and the project achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in January 2015.
- Patuxent River Naval Air Museum, Lexington Park, MD: SDC provided advisory services to Biscayne Contractors for this new 20,860 sf museum, designed by Westlake Reed Leskosky, which includes a hangar for displaying Navy planes, as well as a gift shop and office space. Passive solar concepts and daylighting contributed to this project achieving LEED Gold-level certification in December 2016.
Community and cultural institutions, both publicly- and privately-owned, provide enrichment activities within their buildings and on their grounds. This group includes public libraries, community and recreational facilities, museums, and cultural centers. The high level of public exposure for these buildings allows an opportunity to showcase the practical application of sustainable design and operations to a broad audience. SDC has provided LEED process management and green building consulting services for community and cultural buildings of local, regional, and national significance.