Multi-Unit Residential Buildings
- Blair Towns, Silver Spring, MD: This 107,292 sf 78-unit building became the first LEED-NC certified apartment community in 2004, and the first LEED-EBOM Platinum certified multi-family project in 2011. It also received the 2012 Existing Building Project of the Year Award from the USGBC National Captial Region Chapter, and was runner-up for the ED&C Magazine Excellence in Design Award.
- Eastern Village Cohousing, Silver Spring, MD: This 92,500 sf mixed-income residential community designed by EDG Architects achieved LEED-NC Silver certification in 2005, becoming the first LEED-certified cohousing project. This project also won awards for 2005 NAHB Research Center Green Project of the Year, 2005 ED&C Magazine Excellence in Design, and 2006 Green Roof for Healthy Cities.
- The Cadence at Downtown Crown, Gaithersburg, MD: These five-story buildings designed by Heffner Architects provide 538 residential units, 110,000 sf of retail space, and 1,400 parking spaces. Both buildings, which attained LEED certification in January 2015, include affordable housing units, outdoor gathering spaces and landscaped zones, as well as a shuttle to public transportation.
- Overlook at Monarch Mills, Columbia, MD: Grimm + Parker designed the renovation for this affordable housing residential community which includes 224 garden apartments, 45 senior apartments, a 4,500 sf clubhouse, outdoor pool and tennis court, a central community Green, playgrounds, and bicycle path. With SDC's help, this project was able to achieve certification under Green Communities Criteria in 2012.
- Virginia Square Towers, Arlington, VA: Located at the Virginia Square Metro Station, this two-building, 520,837 sf high-rise apartment development designed by MTFA Architecture includes 534 residential units as well as ground-floor retail and underground parking developed over a 2.57 acre site. The completed project earned LEED-NC Gold-level certification in September 2015.
- James Madison University Wayland Hall Renovation, Harrisonburg, VA: This renovation by VMDO became the first fully renovated residence hall in the country to achieve LEED-NC Platinum certification. It was also honored as the Virginia Sustainable Building Network’s 2012 Best Green Institutional Project – Adaptive Re-use category. SDC provided LEED consulting to construction manager Donley's.
- Virginia Commonwealth University West Grace Student Housing South, Richmond, VA: This 160,000 sf new student housing building designed by WDG Architecture in association with nbj Architecture provides 450 beds in a mix of apartment types as well as ground-floor assembly space. The project, which features roof-mounted solar water heating, achieved LEED-NC Silver-level certification in 2013.
Green building for multi-unit residential projects requires intense coordination among designers, builders, developers, as well as property managers and residents, to ensure the buildings are operating as originally designed. These include condominiums, rental apartments, student housing, and senior housing developments. SDC has pioneered green building for multi-unit residential developments, from the first LEED-certified cohousing project, to the first multi-family project to attain LEED-EBOM Platinum certification. SDC has provided LEED process management / green building consulting for more than 50 multi-unit residential buildings. SDC has also provided process management and advisory services for multi-unit residential projects under other regional programs including the Baltimore City Green Building Standard, Green Communities Criteria, EarthCraft Virginia, and Howard County Green Neighborhoods.